They say, “The most beautiful things in life are free” and that is how I feel about Hawaii. To properly end our summer, my husband and I took our girls and my parents to the big island Oahu and I can confidently say it was the best decision we made as a family. One thing I love about Hawaii is that you can practically do everything for free! From beautiful hiking trails to waterfalls, beaches, and botanical gardens! We were in Hawaii for a total of 9 days and here’s what we did as a family of 6 that you should too if you’re visiting Hawaii soon.
- The first thing will cost you some money, but you should rent a mini van (or Jeep) so you can explore the entire island!
- Go to Costco and fill your coolers with food! The first night we got to Hawaii we went straight to Costco and filled coolers with snacks, fruits, drinks, sandwiches and we were set for a few days! We went out for lunch and dinner here and there, but it saved us money and time.
- Start your day early so you have time to explore! In Hawaii, it is normal to see people up and out by 6:30am I thought Vegas was a city that never sleeps or maybe I’m just old now?! and old people are up earlier? haha
- You won’t regret spending a few days driving around the entire island! It’s actually a very scenic and peaceful drive! We stopped every 15-20 minutes to explore each area and the best part was spending some quality time with each other in the car. Plus, as a mom I like anything that doesn’t require a lot of work.
- Stop by Laniakea Beach and take pictures with turtles. The turtles come right up to the shore and rest there. Plus Laniakea has some neat beaches in the areas and hiking trails.
- Spend the whole day at Lanikai Beach!
- Spend the whole day at Ko Olina Lagoons and just relax with your babies.
- Rent snorkeling gears for $20 and snorkel at Maunalua Bay.
- Hike and explore Manoa Falls!! (This was my favorite hike of all time! It was so so beautiful like heaven on earth.)
- Visit Kualoa Ranch where they filmed Jurassic Park and bring your camera for some nice backdrop photos!
- Visit Pearl Harbor National Memorial.
- Hangout at Waikiki Beach; there’s tons of beach activities, food, drinks and live music.
- And make sure to drive through Nu’ uanu Pali drive.
This was by far one of my favorite family vacation trips in 2019 and I can’t wait to take my daughters back when they’re older. I will never forget the memories we made in Hawaii; the friendly people, beautiful beaches & hiking trails, and most importantly, just spending quality time with my family.
“It’s okay if your kids don’t remember the trips, because you will & that matters too!”